If your dog sometimes resorts to destructive behavior in the house when you’re not around, there are some steps you can take to control losing prized possessions:
1. When you are home, make sure that you do spend time interacting with your dog. Teaching tricks are a great way to burn mental and physical energy.
2. When able, take your dog out for exercise. He may enjoy walks or chasing a ball or frisbee.
3. When you’re not around, give your dog a bone stuffed with peanut butter or something soft. Pre-freeze the bones to give you dog an added treat.
4. If your dog just can’t be trusted alone, put your dog in a crate.
5. Don’t be afraid to give your dog some company. Leave the television or radio on. Your dog will hear voices and help him feel less lonely.
If handled properly, your dog will be happy being “home alone!”