Dogs, by nature, are pack animals and will look to you – the leader – for guidance. Providing your dog with structure and boundaries, will help your dog understand how to abide by the rules in your household and to become a companion you will really enjoy.
Obedience training doesn’t solve all behavior problems, but it is the foundation for solving just about any problem. Training opens up a line of communication between you and your dog. Effective communication is necessary to teach your dog about how you want him to behave. You can teach your dog anything from sit, come and walk on a loose leash to heeling at your side.
Aside from allowing your dog to live happily as a companion, training can help to bring out the best in your dog. Through training, your dog will become more self-confident. While you work with your dog, you build rapport between your dog and you. The increased rapport will help establish a good foundation for training in most competition venues such as agility, obedience, and rally. Training your dog increases the possibility that he will be successful in whatever venue you decide to pursue!
THE BENEFITS OF AN OBEDIENCE TRAINED DOG:
- He sits when told so will not jump on guests.
- He stays so he will not bolt out the door when it is opened.
- He knows you are in charge and will not try to take over the house.
- He comes when called and does not bark incessantly.
- He does not pull on the leash and walks with you!
- He only chews on items that are his.
- He will not chase other dogs, cats, cars or people.
- He will be able to successfully participate in competitive events such as obedience, agility, rally, and other activities!
Obedience training is fun and rewarding for you and your dog. It can and will enrich your relationship with your dog and make living together more enjoyable. A well-trained dog is more confident and a pleasure to be around.